Wednesday, November 25, 2009

WTB: One dwarf rogue!

It’s Thanksgiving in America as well as Azeroth. This week If you find yourself reading this blog from either of those locales I hope that you have an excellent holiday with your family . We celebrate American Thanksgiving with a dear friend of mine who moved to Canada a few years ago from Ohio. We all gather with delicious hot dishes and celebrate all that we are thankful for: our friends, family and a life rich with love. I have to say that I love to see a group of people gathering around cooking up a storm!

The first year I made the candied yams , a dish that is rare on Canadian Thanksgiving tables, and under close supervision I made the dish according to his instructions. This dish starts with sliced sweet potatoes. Okay, I’m down with that. Yum – sweet potatoes are delicious in curry as well in French fry form. Then you add a bottle of corn syrup. Not a cup, not a tablespoon, an entire bottle. Intrigued? Well you’ll love what comes next: a modest sprinkle of a ¼ cup of brown sugar! Just like Mom makes it! Actually, this was exactly like his mother makes it so I had to oblige.

You bake this confectionary for about an hour. The sweet potatoes soften and the sauce becomes thick and syrupy. Thanksgiving is surely complete once it is golden brown.

But wait. It’s not ready. There is yet another layer to make it a classic side dish. Just before you serve you sprinkle a layer of marshmallows on top and stick under the broiler until golden brown or just slightly scorched.

This dish tastes like you think it would. Awful. The mushy starch that tastes nothing of sweet potato with sickly sweet syrup and marshmallow that is so out of place. However, the look on my friend's face as he ate a forkful of it was priceless. Like he had gone home and relived all his happiest Thanksgiving memories in an instant. Or maybe he was going into a sugar coma.

Either way he loved it and I smiled politely while pushing mine to the side. I love my friend and his traditions, but you can’t put gravy on candied yams with good result and therefore, they are taking up valuable plate real estate which I could fill with a second scoop of mashed potatoes.

So happy (American) Thanksgiving and happy turkey hunting in Tirisfal Glades everyone! I just need to find one stinking dwarf rogue and preferably not while they are murdering the hell out of me in Wintergrasp!

2 comments:

  1. How did you find visiting the Alliance's Bountiful Tables?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not terrible - I shared some food with a very nice Draenei in Exodar but got killed in Ironforge by the guards. :)

    ReplyDelete